Saturday, January 22, 2011

Foggy Mists and Moony Nights



Had been a crazy hectic week with loads of work, compulsive socializing and a pang to stay fit again!
Eventually Friday was here...After a nice social evening, got back and decided to burn out the vodka in a run. It was cold and yet I felt warm under the moon. My mind was just waiting to be lost in my pace and listening to music. As I paced up, I just had to stop. The moon looked beautiful! I continued to listen to my music and run along till A came down and we walked, talked and walked some more. She called it a day and I was energized. We left debating about my tastes in music, my fascinations and whatever else. Went up to her place and ended up listening to Carnatic Recitals, some new Hindustani ones and yet I am not a convert.


***Digressing
Was telling her a story about my fascination for Hindustani as opposed to Carnatic. When I was young, my harmonium teacher would teach us the notes and scales as per the Carnatic Style. One day I went up to him and said "I don't like this style, I want to learn Hindustani." He asked me - "Why" ? I remember replying -" Because I am hindu". Since then started my fascination for this genre over Carnatic. When I thought out aloud, I realized in general I think it is the overbearing mridangam kind of beats that dissuade me away from Carnatic. I love the tabla. Infact I think it is one of the most elegant of all percussion instruments. I love hindustani vocals over instrumental. I prefer fast paced raags and I guess I am yet to listen to something in the Carnatic camp that will have me lured. Or maybe I have to really wait for someone out there who will drive me to it!
**end of digression

Anyways chatted until late, came back and played on my tabla and forced myself to sleep. Set my alarm to 5 and woke up lazily and walked out to my balcony. It was extremely foggy, cold and beautiful! The sun was about to rise and all you could see was a glimpse of the moon fading by. Went back to sleep and woke up an hour later and cycled away. Saw some of the most beautiful places and wished my camera was alright. I wish I also had more time to just go on and explore some of the roads that lead outside of Bangalore. Came back ate at a bakery and finally went back to my gym only to be told that it is a bandh afterall.

Cycling is the best thing to have happened to me in the recent times. There is joy in the mornings and in finding trails and discovering beauty. I love the foggy mists and the moony nights.

4 comments:

RT said...

I have figured your next bday gift - Project conversion.
:p

Mystic said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly meets...I am a H-camper myself. And dont think I will convert any time soon. although I am "open" to it...:-)

Chatter Box said...

@Rt: We shall see.
@Mystic: Totally in synch there. Lets do some interesting stuff when you are here and bash the C camp like we bashed up Richard Bach once if u remember:-d

Mystic said...

yeah babe....sounds like a plan. And your note about liking hindustani because you are hindu was hilarious!! I remember someone in school asking me and trying to make me feel guilty that I was learning hindustani in spite of being from Karnataka (so had to learn Carnatic types)...hehehe...
I actually do not remember the richard bach episode...plis refresh memory.
and also am really hoping to be able to catch Mowna in action when I come down. please do let me know if you hear something will be coming up.