Friday, January 21, 2011

Sense and Sensibility

I was told I mostly do not make sense. I started my evening understanding the phrase "sense". A dictionary probably describes it as "sound practical intelligence, something reasonable" 

I began to analyze my course of thoughts, speech and action and realized that they are indeed at times very dis-jointed. I realized there is another precursor to the whole thing -"ability to hear". So this is how I guess I function.
  • Hear something(aah the idea is seeded).
  • Process what you believed you heard (idea triggers context, starts to lead into other ideas)
  • think a zillion threads (story starts to weave in my head)
  • respond (continue to add dimensions to the story)
  • Act !(by now the idea has turned into a beast!) 
  • The other end thinks ---> (does not make sense!!!)

So a lot of this has to do with how much you tame your mind from thinking. Assuming you cant control that, you end up needing to control your responses in which case.  Imagination I tell you is a devious thing. But this thought process apart, I really do not use my imagination on a normal day around every normal thing happening around me. I probably use it when I need to.  And yet so often I am told, I do not make sense!

Maybe here is what could happen
X:  Do you have money on you?
Me: Heard it as - I need money (assumptions, bad ears whatever!)
Me Processing: 
Why would someone need money and has bothered asking me? 
Maybe X needs food, maybe X needs to pay someone who is standing right there, 
Maybe X needs to buy new clothes, Maybe ..maybe maybe
Me responds: Do you need clothes??
X concludes: Does not make sense. All I wanted to know is if you have money to get back home yourself!
Me (action): Pull out my wallet and car to take X shopping!

Phew! Again this is a figment of my imagination. I am very sure I do not come across this ways on most serious occasions. I am also incapable of doing the above for trivial things!:-) But heck I am also told I am entertaining and most weird. I wonder why that does not sound like a compliment! All I know is that I am of course a fan of intellect and intelligent people. I would degenerate the day intelligent people cease to exist around me. However, there is a joy in being able to talk to folks at any level in the value chain, only because I cannot fill my life with silences at large. I do love fiction and run my imagination wild because I guess I was given a mind that is not still. I am just reminded of a quote I once read - Truth has to be strange. Fiction though should make sense! (or something like that).

My sensibility tells me, it is time to stop writing this post and I shall obey! I must not be making any sense I know.

1 comment:

Mystic said...

Whaaat!!!????